Wednesday, November 10, 2010

"Hurricane" Video Runs 20 Minutes Long - But Should It?

30 Seconds to Mars informed MTV News yesterday that the "Hurricane" video runs about 20 minutes long.

And I don't like it.

The video will "explore sexuality and violence" for 20 minutes? I know that 30STM projects a certain amount of darkness in their music, particularly on their latest album. I can handle that. But I have a problem when you make a music video explicitly ABOUT sexuality and violence -- particularly when the lyrics have little to nothing to do with sex. Unless it's twisted, macabre sex. Then I REALLY have a problem with it.

If it were your typical music video, say 4-6 minutes long, it might not be such a big deal. "Oh look," I'd say. "One more thing about sex and violence in an already saturated industry. I wish 30 Seconds to Mars wasn't in on that trend like everyone else."

But no. This video is an effort at an art form. This is indie film with funding. Echelon already know that 30STM is capable of really beautiful work, especially in their videos. ("Kings and Queens" comes to mind.) How could it possibly be okay for them to use that talent as proponents for violence and sexuality?

Art criticism has two components: whether or not it meets its goal, and whether or not that goal was worth meeting. 30STM is CERTAINLY able to accomplish their creative goals. I don't doubt that for a second. I am, however, questioning the value of the goals for which they reach.

The buzz about the album as been it's got this epic, optimistic feel, and that's what I love about it. I just hope that "Hurricane" is somehow in keeping with that, though I'm not sure how it will be. How do you make the combination of sex and violence into an uplifting, valuable 20 minute message?

You make me nervous, 30 Seconds to Mars. And I wish you wouldn't.

1 comment: