Monday, October 4, 2010

Linkin Park - new video premiers Friday

The official music video for "Waiting for the End", Linkin Park's second single off of A Thousand Suns, will premier October 8th. As A Thousand Suns is a concept album on nuclear warfare, I'm interested to see how this plays out in the video.

WFTE has a chill, organic sound that I adore, but I can't imagine warfare fitting very well until at least three minutes into the song, if then.

This song sits in the center of the album, making it not an introduction of the themes, but perhaps the core message in them. The lyrics express exhaustion and disillusionment, but given the tone of the song, lines like "All I want to do / Is trade this life for something new / Holding on to what I haven't got" take a more hopeful slant.

Hope renews LP in an incredible change from the band's previous work, particularly Hybrid Theory. On WFTE, they've given up on being angry and simply look to begin again. We'll just have to see how they tie it into the concept of the album, I guess.

Speaking of contrast though, Waiting for the End is the polar opposite of The Catalyst, LP's previously released video from the new album. I mean, The Catalyst video -- which is so moving, by the way -- opens with green fog and a silent scream, not to mention the slow drowning and fragmented explosions later on.

I'm not sure how LP will reconcile WFTE to that, but it's guaranteed to be epic. Check back on Friday for my assessment of the video, play by play. And if we're lucky, LP will post more behind-the-scenes videos on their website.

(By the way, did you see the one where Chester and Mike are working on the final harmonized notes in WFTE? Art in progress, my friends. Beautiful.)

You can listen to Waiting for the End here, but I warn you: listen to it once and you'll be clamoring to purchase it.

No comments:

Post a Comment